Aug 28, 2020
Today I am so, so, so excited to
announce something that has been in the works for many months. On
Friday, August 21, 2020 it was officially announced that
I am joining the team at the Texas A&M Human Behavior
Lab as an Instructor for the brand new Certificate in Applied
Behavioral Economics, which is enrolling now for the
The core faculty for the
certificate program, Dr. Marco Palma, Jeff Pool and Will Leach,
will be joining me today to talk about the certificate program in
more detail including how it differs from any program we’ve seen
And, don’t worry, nothing will
be changing here at The Brainy Business except maybe being a bit
more busy! You will still receive new shows and emails each
Friday. A lot of you have asked if this meant a move,
but the entire program is intentionally
virtual so I will be
staying here in the Pacific Northwest--and wherever you are around
the globe you can have access to a stellar program in applied
behavioral economics from the largest academic human behavior lab
in the world.
LEARN MORE AND
- [00:52] I am joining the team at the Texas
A&M Human Behavior Lab as an Instructor for the brand new
Certificate in Applied Behavioral Economics. (yay!!)
- [02:53] The program is awesome and any fan of
this show would benefit from obtaining a Certificate in Applied
Behavioral Economics. This program is for people in business
looking for that edge.
- [05:07] Introducing the core faculty: Will
Leach is the author of Marketing to Mindstates and the CEO of the
- [05:59] Dr. Marco Palma is the director of the
Human Behavior Lab.
- [07:26] Jeff Pool has a background in
communications (working at the Pentagon before joining Dr. Palma’s
team at the Human Behavior Lab).
- [08:57] One of the critical missions of Texas
A&M University and the Human Behavior Lab is to put the
knowledge and research out to the people to continue it and so that
they can improve the health and wellbeing of people in the United
States and around the world.
- [11:37] This program provides an understanding
of behavioral economics from the basic core concept to the point
that people can apply this knowledge and use it in their businesses
on a daily basis.
- [12:22] The certificate program is an online
program hosted by Texas A&M University that provides
interaction with instructors and fellow students. In order to earn
the certificate there are six classes including 3 core classes and
3 elective classes. It is a total of 18 credit
- [13:51] Melina will be teaching Foundations of
Behavioral Economics. Some of the classes will also include
co-teaching with other members from the team (and guest lectures
from amazing guests) utilizing their strengths and
- [15:17] The course is designed to stimulate
ideas to help you with your business. The faculty will be available
during online office hours to answer questions and help you apply
- [17:05] Marco says a huge benefit to the
program is having Melina and Will because of their experiences with
their own businesses and their background in corporate
- [19:27] Another huge benefit of the program is
being able to access the work and research of the lab and other
colleagues before it is even published.
- [20:53] The team offers a rich pipeline of
people they are able to reach out to get answers for students when
they have them.
- [22:12] They wanted to provide enough rigorous
information, but also make sure it is accessible and
- [24:11] The certificate program is a great
option for people that are already established in careers, but
really want that edge.
- [26:30] Just being curious about human behavior
is all you need because they are going to provide the rest. It
doesn’t matter what industry you are in.
- [28:22] They are building the program knowing
that it is going to be responsive.
- [30:46] The program will be starting with two
classes in Fall 2020.
- [33:01] If you happen to find a course you are
excited about but not quite ready for the full certificate, you can
test it out and just take a class you think sounds interesting. We
wanted to make this accessible to everyone to get what they need;
where, when, and how they need it.
- [35:03] This is intended to evolve with our
learners. We plan to add more electives that are specific for
certain industries and disciplines. This program is for people like
you looking to get that edge in business.
- [35:46] The program is all online so wherever
you are in the world you can have the same access as someone in
- [37:12] I hope to see many of you in class this
fall and beyond!
Thanks for listening. Don’t
forget to subscribe on
Android. If you like
what you heard, please leave a
review on iTunes
and share what you liked about the
More from The Brainy Business: