Dec 18, 2020
Today I am very pleased to
introduce you to Jez Groom and April Vellacott, coauthors of the
book Ripple: The big effects of small behaviour changes in
business. Jez and April work together at Cowry Consulting in the
UK, which he founded in 2015. Cowry incorporates behavioral science
into recommendations for all sorts of clients, including one
fascinating study you’ll hear about today where they made
workplaces safer by painting the walls pink!
During the conversation, we talk
about all sorts of concepts, like nudges, anchoring, framing, loss
aversion, priming, and more.
hope you love everything recommended via The Brainy Business!
Everything was independently reviewed and selected by me, Melina
Palmer. So you know, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying
purchases. That means if you decide to shop from the links on this
page (via Amazon or others), The Brainy Business may collect a
share of sales or other compensation.
- [00:41] I am very pleased to introduce you to
Jez Groom and April Vellacott, coauthors of the book
Ripple: The big effects of small behaviour changes in
- [03:07] April studied psychology for her
undergrad. She has always been very interested in the way people
around her behaved.
- [04:23] April discusses her thesis on using
behavioral science in cybersecurity.
- [06:56] Jez has done some amazing things in his
second career of behavioral science.
- [08:01] Jez has always been an entrepreneur and
he can’t wait to see the next wave of behavioral
- [09:59] Jez is excited for more behavioral
science applications and studies, as well as diversity in
- [11:11] Behavioral science shouldn’t be
exclusive. They are going to be campaigning in small territories to
start their own programs and studies.
- [14:01] April shares about the Preventing Falls
with Pink Walls study.
- [15:55] The team went to the construction site
to help nudge them to be safer. One tactic was painting the walls
- [18:07] There was a huge shift in behavior
after they implemented their changes including a reward
- [18:57] If you are a hard-core behavioral
scientist, it is crazy to do three interventions all at once, but
they only had one shot to change the behavior so they had to take
- [20:50] It is worth the risk when making
affordable changes that can have a huge increase in health and
- [23:32] The interventions don’t always work
across the board, but it is the ideas behind the interventions that
matter for future projects.
- [24:25] Ripple walks anyone who is working in business or
interested in applying behavioral science through the steps to get
started. The first step is convincing other people in your
organization that behavioral science is an amazing tool that
applies to them and your business.
- [25:54] No matter where you are in your journey
or the size of your business, Ripple is full of practical tips for getting
- [26:15] There are some interventions that
capture your attention because they are
- [27:21] The objective of behavioral science
should be to change behavior for the better.
- [28:13] Jez shares about his favorite
intervention they discuss in the book from their research in South
- [31:11] In South Africa they were working with
a store and trying to get people to buy their first sim card from
- [33:04] We should celebrate the simple more.
Many instances can be conveyed in simple terms and that doesn’t
mean they are any less genius.
- [36:01] Simplicity is very
- [38:34] “If you can’t explain it simply, you
don’t understand it well enough.” - Albert
- [39:29] April shares the process they used for
writing the book.
- [41:22] Some people are really good at saying
what they want to say, but others are really good at writing their
- [43:20] We are moving on to the next era in
behavioral science. We are trying to figure out a better system of
codification of what behavioral science looks
- [44:57] Complexity and too much information is
a huge problem for financial services.
- [48:30]Melina’s closing
Thanks for listening. Don’t
forget to subscribe on
Android. If you like
what you heard, please leave a
review on iTunes
and share what you liked about the
More from The Brainy Business:
Past Episodes and Other Important Links: