Jul 5, 2019
Welcome to season two of The Brainy Business. This episode is a
special anniversary episode celebrating the first year of the
podcast. I can’t believe it has been a full year already. Year one
brought us 54 episodes with over 60,000 downloads in 133 countries
around the world. So much has happened this year. I’ve made
amazing connections to listeners in person and on social media.
I’ve had conversations with academics, students, business owners,
and marketers. I also launched my column on Inc.com
Today, I’m going to share the top ten episodes by downloads,
some of your favorites – with clips from the audiograms you
submitted, and a few of my favorite episodes – including which ones
I share the most. I will also give some looks behind the scenes,
with the top questions I get asked, the funniest thing people say
to me now (that I had never heard before becoming a podcaster), my
favorite books, and more.
- [05:43] An audio clip featuring Nikki Rausch of Sales
- [06:06] The Business Bros are early adopters and find this
podcast instrumental in their marketing.
- [08:59] I share the top 10 podcasts based on your
- [09:40] A message from Maureen about episode 43 and how she
benefited from a discovery call and then working
- [13:15] Number 9 on the countdown was episode 42: A Behavioral
Economics Analysi of Apple Card.
- [14:54] Episode 32 was one of my favorite episodes, and it
includes the chocolate cake study. This one is about The
Overwhelmed Brain, and I play a quick clip from Debby. This was
also the first episode where I referenced the Texas A & M Human
- [19:27] Episode 3 about lead magnets was number 7. This was
based on a popular video I did before the podcast launched.
- [21:03] Episode 47: The Behavioral Analysis of Costco was
number 6. I have some more fun business analysis shows coming
- [23:16] Episode 35, which was The Introduction to Choice
Architecture and Nudging. This episode is where I first started
using my air conditioner example. This is a really intricate and
complex topic. It's critical for any business to understand the
complexity of choice.
- [27:03] Episode 45: An Overview of Personal Biases was the
fourth most downloaded episode. I was a bit nervous launching into
this rapid fire series.
- [29:10] Number 3 was episode 5: The Truth About Pricing. I also
play a quick clip by Kadra who I was fortunate enough to work
- [32:47] The second most downloaded episode of all time is
episode 2. This episode was the Top 5 Wording Mistakes That
Businesses Make. Because of this episode I am now associated with
cotton candy grapes.
- [34:40] Number 1 is also Episode 1: Unlocking the Secrets of
the Brain. I write out full scripts for my podcast. I discovered
this was the best way to work after episode 1 and 2 had to be
recorded multiple times each.
- [37:38] Episode 11: Anchoring and Adjustment was also really
popular. This is the episode with the story about the 38% increase
of sales in Snickers.
- [38:48] Episode 23: Reciprocity and Episode 31 on Mirror
Neurons were also popular with listeners. I got to talk about
Sheldon Cooper and the Big Bang Theory in episode 23 (which I
love). Mirror neurons are so fascinating and one of my favorite
- [41:39] Kelly Ferguson, of Ferguson Avenue Photography said via
Facebook that episode 8, What is Value? is her favorite. It was so
much fun to come up with examples of what creates real
- [42:48] An episode I recommend often is episode 16 on
Framing. I also recommend episode 19 on Herding and episode 17 The
Power of Numbers.
- [44:00] I also loved talking about Time Discounting and my
interview with Texas A & M. My online strategy session was also a
- [44:53] I also loved the episode on Booms, Bubbles and Busts
because it was really fun to talk about tulips and Beanie
- [45:13] The last episode I want to talk about is episode 9
which was my very first foundations episode on Loss Aversion. I was
concerned the foundations episodes would come across as too
academic, but people loved them.
- [47:40] Where we hang out: A lot of people listen to the
podcast on their commute or while walking their dogs. Some listen
at the gym. One listener even listened while running a marathon.
I'd love to hear where we hang out.
- [52:06] My rapid fire book recommendations with links
- [55:05] A quick shout out to the team at Pro Podcast
- [55:20] I record my episodes with a USB microphone in my home
- [56:06] Brain is a custom creation made from a model. I added a
little purple paint and we have Brain.
- [57:02] Thanks again for making this year beyond what I could
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to subscribe on
Apple Podcasts or Android.
If you like what you heard, please leave a
review on iTunes and share what you liked about the
Links and Resources: